Translate

Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 28, 2012

POST 1027: DECEMBER 28, 2012; BELLINGHAM, WASHINGTON

* * * * * * * * * *

Yesterday, I hit the road again...the first time since injuring my left knee three weeks ago stepping out of the UPS truck.  Such an injury normally takes 6 weeks to heal...yes, I know I am pushing it...but then, what's new.

Walked at a 3.5 mph speed on the sidewalks of the Barkley Residential District for 1.5 hours.  The entire time, I concentrated mentally on the tendon from my front thigh down to and over my knee cap...a time or two, I felt it slide a bit to the side - as I rounded corners -, but the tendon stayed in place when I slowed up a bit to limit the side loading.

All the time, I guarded against ANY pain in the knee...it became a bit dulled; i.e., kinda numb...but, it never became painful. 

At the end of the walk, I continued to walk within my apartment...then, treated myself to a 1-hour long HOT soak in my itsy-bitsy bath tub...what ever happened to the good ole' sloping tubs with the eagle talon feet...tubs designed to stretch out in.

Tempted to hit the road again early this morning...is a beautiful day in Bellingham today..., but decided to hold off until this afternoon.

In the interim, telephoned UPS local manager:  why have I not been called to work as driver's helper...and where / how do I return my uniform (a requirement to preclude inappropriate use of UPS uniforms)...and how / where do I pick up my $$ check for the little work I did do.

Response was apology for not keeping me informed; return the uniform...and at the same time pick up my $$ check...at the local UPS terminal between 2:00 and 3:00 pm this afternoon.  The terminal is about 1.5 miles from my apartment, so have decided to walk there and back by a circuitous route...killing two birds with one stone.

Actually, I am quite comfy in my apartment.  I have no TV - there is none in the building for public view, and, they want $35.00 / month to hook up service to my apartment -, so I spend my time reading and rummaging through the many boxes / bags of things not opened for many months...like Christmas all over again.

Problem is, I am biting at the bit to get back on the road...not just walking around Bellingham, but setting out on another USA Crossing.

This morning, I telephoned Ron, in Wilmington, North Carolina, where I left SAM in storage...only to discover Ron has sold the business.  New owners have no knowledge of SAM or whereabouts.  I do have Ron's private phone number, which I called only to find he has recently incurred a back problem and is not taking calls...so, I left a message:

I'm ready to pick up SAM to continue my walk around the world...please call.

If SAM is available, perhaps I will fly (I have many DELTA Air Miles available) to Wilmington, North Carolina, and walk BACK to Bellingham.

If I do that, I will welcome someone to babysit my apartment - must be over 55 years old,  pass a detailed background check, and have minimum $$ income... to meet apartment requirements.

We shall see what transpires.

* * * * * * * * * *

No comments: