Translate

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

POST 1026; DECEMBER 26, 2012; NAPLES, ITALY (1957)

http://www.portanapoli.com/Eng/Infocity/inf_map.html

* * * * * * * * * *

A moment to share my new blog format...inasmuch as this instrument has become a dual means of communication; i.e.,

current events ...Current-time update will be written between the symbols

                              " * * * * * * * * * "   and   " * * * * * * * * * "

whereas biographical "bare bones"  sketch from 1935 - 20_ _ (? ?)

will reside outside the above symbols.

OK, here we go...

Today being December 26, 2012, I wish to thank Bob and Pam for including me in their family / friends Christmas Day celebration.... which celebration included not only a wonderful dinner, but also a Puppet Show and evening long carols of the season accompanied by guitars, violin, and mandolin...seems everyone except me plays one or more of those instruments.

I have never again heard from UPS, calling me to work as promised.  I queried UPS by phone, only to be told that I would be called when needed...also, I have not received any $$ for the days I did work.  Guess I missed something in the mix.

Have done rather extensive research on Google Maps to detail my walking route from Lisbon, Portugal to Beijing.  I succeeded nicely until reaching the city of  Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (where I have a friend living), which is next door to China.  Google maps, however refuses to allow any maps within China.

Will contact the Chinese Consulate to help complete my walking route to Beijing.

My injured left knee is now three weeks a-healing.  Took my first long walk this afternoon...seems to be OK, but will give it another weekend before setting out on renewed power walks.

* * * * * * * * * *   (end of current events)

I have reported to my new assignment at NATO, AFSOUTH, AIRSOUTH, situated in BAGNOLI, Naples.  I have been assigned to the Communications Division, which includes all means of electronic communication, such as:  Radio, Radar, TACAN, LORAN, etc.  My offices are within a compound of three story modern buildings.  Since I am working in a TOP SECRET area, cannot say much more than that.

http://www.jfcnaples.nato.int/page11702954.aspx




AIRSOUTH Building is in the lower right of building complex above right.

Our division includes officers from the United States, Italy, Great Britain, Greece and Turkey.  We work as a team monitoring NATO communication activities for the underbelly of Europe, including the Central and Eastern Mediterranean Sea.

Much of my time is spent assisting staff officers in the preparation and presentation of reports ... presented verbally and with images to visiting VIPs (Very Important Persons...Chiefs of State, Congressmen, etc)
I am also pressed into service reporting courts martial proceedings for AFSOUTH.

One such trail concerns cigarettes.  Cigarettes cost $1.00 per CARTON in the PX, with 2 cartons per week allowance.  On the Black Market, the same carton sells for $5.00.  Shortly after I record the courts martial of a military person apprehended selling cigarettes on the Black Market -  the accused was caught because he was not a smoker, but always picked up his ration -  I immediately took up smoking. 

* * * * * * * * * *

I continued to smoke to age 43 - some 20 years - , when I throw all my cigarettes into the fire place (on June 15, 1975).  Six months later (December 06, 1975), I run - and complete - the first of many Marathons.  It takes three years of extreme exercise to get the stink and brown sweat purged from my body.  Had I not stopped smoking, I am certain not only would I NOT be walking around the world...but I would  a long time ago, be dead.

* * * * * * * * * *

Joanie is a real home-body.  She is totally content to remain in our apartment caring for Bruce, Jr.  Our home sparkles and one can safely eat off our marble floors...in fact, Joanie uses a tooth brush to clean the corners.  Even so, we take many short car trips to the many historic sights near Naples.  Just to the north of Naples is the Palace of Caserta...one of the most beautiful properties I have ever visited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Caserta

To the South of Naples, of course, is Mount Vesuvius, the volcano which in AD97, buried POMPEII and HERCULANEUM.  Joan and I visit Pompeii many times

* * * * * * * * * *

...my many photographs have, regretfully, been lost during my many subsequent moves...

* * * * * * * * * *

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/romans/pompeii_portents_01.shtml

https://www.google.com/search?q=pompeii,+Photos+%28AD+79%29&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=eZQ&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=q8bbUOa4COvDiwKrmYG4Dg&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=437

In 1957, I become a member of TOASTMASTERS International "PARLO BENE"...to attempt to overcome my reluctance to stand before an audience.  One result of this association is that a joint TOASTMASTERS meeting is held at Pompeii...during which, I have the opportunity to speak from the ancient FORUM OF POMPEII.

The great Roman Orator CICERO is Mentor of TOASTMASTERS PARLO BENE.

PARLO BENE = SPEAK WELL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unqueѕtionаbly imagine that that you saiԁ.
Youг favourite justification appearеԁ to be on
thе web the ѕіmρlest thing to take note of.
I say to you, I definitely gеt іrked evеn аs othеr people сonsider isѕues that they plаinly don't realize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest as well as outlined out the entire thing with no need side-effects , other folks can take a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thank you

Also visit my web site; Villa Rentals Canaries