Translate

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

DAY 177: DAYTONA, FLORIDA & US 1

There are 62 miles between BUNNELL and TITUSVILLE, FLORIDA. DAYTONA, FLORIDA sits in the center between these two towns. Today, I drove to DAYTONA, parked SPIA in a shopping mall, and walked 15 miles North on US 1 from DAYTONA to a bit beyond the I-95 interchange...then walked back to SPIA.

The moment I got into SPIA, it started to rain and has rained on and off the rest of the day.

The photograph above is US 1 just North of downtown DAYTONA. I sometimes feel that I am doing an injustice not to take time to walk around some of the cities; but if I did that, the walk would take MUCH longer. Perhaps another mission would be to drive from city to city with the objective to search out and photograph them for another Blog.


US 1 is built down the center of a rather large Marsh. Water flows through these channels rather quickly. I did not find the source or ending of all the water movement, but it must be a haven for birds and gators.

The heat was intense today..in the high 90's, with humidity to match. I stepped onto the porch of a small restaurant where they served drinks and small dishes - mostly seafood. It was as though the air conditioning was turned on...all because of a "cold mist" curtain all around the porch from roof to floor...much like an air curtain in some "box" stores entrances. Look closely to see mist "smudges" falling from the ceiling.

The ceiling and walls were covered with many hundred names, quotes, and messages.

I enjoyed my beer.

This Marina is next to a bridge carrying US 1 over a small river with bronze-colored-water.

It took me over 8 hours to walk 30 miles today.

DAILY REPORT: Walked one leg of 30 miles...the second longest single-leg walk I have ever done. The heat was overbearing. The humidity kept fogging up my eye glasses. Finally, as I completed my walk, it started to rain. It is now 8:30 in the evening and the lightning, thunder, and pounding rain continue.

I have driven back to Karen & Bob's in TITUSVILLE for the night. In the morning, will walk another 30 + miles from DAYTONA to just North of TITUSVILLE. Two days ago, I walked 16 miles North of TITUSVILLE on US 1.

With tomorrow's walk, will have completed all the miles to the COCOA BEACH, FLORIDA Causeway leading to Merritt Island and Cape Canaveral.

SEE YOUR IMPACT.ORG: Credit 30 miles @ $0.02 = $0.60 for the day.

1 comment:

auntie E said...

Glad you are able to visit Karen & Bob.