Translate

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 7, 2011

DAY 113; DEMING - MESILLA, NEW MEXICO

At 6:00 am, drove SPIA out of DEMING down Highway 529, which parallels I-10 for about 40 miles...could not walk on the Freeway because Hwy 529 was available for walking.

Parked and walked East on Hwy 529 for 14 miles.

I was looking to again walk a 50-mile day so I could meet with Steve and Kelsey for dinner and visit in LAS CRUCES - Steve's idea because they were busy last night after I rushed to DEMING to have a bite with them...

Parked SPIA at the intersection of Hwy 529 and I-10 at Exit 102 and walked for another 18 miles just as fast as I could go. When I returned to SPIA at 1:30 pm, had a phone message from Steve...they had a tail wind all the way from DEMING to LAS CRUCES, arriving at 11:00 am.

So, they decided to skip LAS CRUCES and continue on US 70 toward ALAMAGORDO...so, would not be available for this evening. Said I understood and wish them well...and stay safe.

I was stunned ! I didn't reealize how much I was looking forward to having a few minutes of companionship...I settled down by giving myself a good talking to and drove SPIA the final 15 miles towards LAS CRUCES to Highway 28 cut-off South to EL PASO.

I would find a place to park for the night, and walk a few more miles to settle down.

A Ranch House along Highway 529 near DEMING.




Highway 529 looking back at I-10 during my second walk of the day ...before Steve's phone call.

I was really hoofing it at this time...making certain to reach LAS CRUCES in time....a total distance of 50 miles from DEMING...I was doing just fine...had plenty of time and was feeling great.




Took a moment to photograph yet another Cactus along Highway 529.





We are now on Highway 28, heading South towards EL PASO...this is my third walk of the day, which lasted 4 miles, for a total of 42 miles for the day...far less than I mentally strived for.

This is a fertile valley, having the Rio Grande River running through it. The Border Patrol told me that beyond EL PASO, TEXAS, the Rio Grande was dry...where have we come across that situation before !





Deep Green field of Alfalfa looking South East down the Rio Grande River Valley from the town of MESILLA, NEW MEXICO.





A rather beautiful home overlooking the Rio Grande River Valley. Next door - on the left - is a nearly new Vineyard...behind which is a Winery with Wine Tasting...my walk ended when I decided to treat myself to some wine tasting.




Please say HELLO to Gordon Steel, owner and Wine Maker for 13 years at the Rio Grande Vineyards & Winery.




Actually, Gorden comes from a family of wine growers and wine makers...he started doing his own at age 13, and has been open for business only two years.





Gordon's (and his wife Sandi's) vineyard is as neat as any floral garden...




Only 10 acres, Gordon uses only his own grapes and having tasted both his White and "some" Red selections, his White Wine Selections are by far the smoothest and most delicate I have ever tasted...yes, I bought one bottle and will carry it aboard SPIA...waiting for that "special moment".




At the head of each row of grapes, stands in full bloom, magnificent Roses.

Not a weed is to be found.



Not a vine is out of place.

Some vines are 13 years old...some are as young as one week.




The Tasting Room Entry.




View of the Rio Grande River Valley from inside the Tasting Room.




Walking back to SPIA, bottle of QUEUE TENDRE "White Wine under my arm, came upon this image of Grandson helping Grandpa (or perhaps Dad) smooth out the driveway gravel...


I am trying very much to replace my missing evening with Steve and Kelsey...I wish you two well...and stay safe.


DAILY REPORT: Walked 42 miles today




SEE YOUR IMPACT.ORG: Credit 42 miles @ $0.02 per mile = $0.84 for the day.





In the morning, will leave SPIA parked at the edge of a Pecan Orchard. I will walk South on Highway 28 toward EL PASO, TEXAS.




Don't know if I can keep the psychology high that pulled me along the past 72 hours, but will certainly give it a whirl.

No comments: