Translate

Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 18, 2011

DAY 94; HIGHWAY 62 EAST OF 29 PALMS, CALIFORNIA

Alexander is a local "walker"...chatted for a few minutes...is quite intelligent guy. This is on Hwy 62 by the Airport, about 5 miles East of 29 Palms. JOSHUA TREE "Welcome"
On my second leg, Charlie gave me a 5 mile ride out...Thank you Charlie.


OK, everyone...a BIG Hello for Charlie.



The last we will see of snow for a VERY long time...it is becoming near 90 degrees and the wind is blowing stink...about 40 constant with higher gusts. SPIA is being pounded. Had to move three times to find a decent place to park for the night. In the process, had to swerve to miss a rather large Rattle Snake crawling across the highway....I missed him.


Must go back to walk that section in the morning.



Downtown 29 PALMS, CALIFORNIA.


From 29 PALMS, it is 100 miles of totally empty desert...nothing...no gas...guess I already said that yesterday.


Have limited electricity for the mini, so must keep today's Blog short.



Just before dawn, I got up to take a few photographs of the FULL MOON.



Then turned around and took this photograph of pre-sunrise DAWN.


Both the Moon and the above pic were taken within 1 minute of each other.



Those "fruit" pods on the Grease wood Plant have bloomed. The desert has turned Yellow.



Today, I walked three (3) sections of Highway 62 that looked like this...long, hot, windy...yes, today I got tired.



Of the 100 miles to the next watering hole, we walked 30 miles today. Still a long way to go...


and folks tell me there are some sections ahead of much more than 100 miles of "nothing"...


Now, ain't that just swell.


DAILY REPORT: Walked 38 miles...count 30 miles.


SEE YOUR IMPACT.ORG: Credit 30 miles @ $0.02 per mile = $0.60 for the day.


If SPIA survives the vicious wind...it it getting MUCH stronger and SPIA is bounding all over the place...will walk BACK about 10 miles to pick up what I missed looking for a protected parking spot...hope that snake is not coming out to take a look at me.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bruce,
I'm Steve the fireman... I gave you a ride today. It was great to meet you. I will follow your progress. Good luck and God Bless. Enjoy your adventure...