Translate

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

DAY 12 - HOH FOREST - KALALOCK, WASHINGTON

PARKED SPIA HERE
HO RAIN FOREST VALLEY. ACTUAL "RAIN" EFFECT IS A FEW MILES OFF US 101, SO DID NOT GO THERE..WILL BE MORE "RAIN FOREST" SOUTH ON US 101.

RIG LIKE THIS SHOVED ME OFF THE ROAD---NOT AT THIS SPOT...PLENTY OF BERM HERE.


HOH RIVER...MUCH OF US 101 HAS, LIKE NEAR THIS BRIDGE, LITTLE BERM WHICH IS INTIMIDATING TO SAY THE LEAST WHEN THESE BIG RIGS ROAR PAST IN BLINDING RAIN



HOH RIVER RESORT OWNERS, ROB & SALI...VISITORIS SHAWNNA, A PHOTOGRAPHER FROM FORKS...SEE MORE @ landsendimage.com...SHAWNNA PIC FOLLOWS BELOW




MY PHOTO DOES NOT DO SHAWNNA'S PIC JUSTICE


HOH RIVER VALLEY...MOSS COVERED TREES


COUNT THE RINGS...EACH RING IS "ONE" YEAR OF GROWTH...TOTAL RINGS (FROM THE CENTER OUT ) IS THE AGE OF THIS TREE WHEN CUT DOWN.


EASIER TO SEE THE RIGS HERE...WIDE GAP BETWEEN RINGS MEANS A "GOOD" GROWING YEAR. CLOSER RINGS MEAN LITTLE GROWTH THAT YEAR...COULD GET AN IDEA OF THE CLIMATE BY RING SPACING.



HOH RIVER




GREY SOIL IS "CLAY". IT IS A SIGN OF UNSTABLE EARTH. WHEN SHAKEN BY A 6.0 + EARTHQUAKE, THIS SOIL - THE CLAY - TURNS TO LIQUID. ANYTHING STANDING ON IT COLLAPSES. MUCH OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST SITS ON CLAY.


MY PIC (AND SHOES) OF THE OLYMPIC FOREST FERN.


HIGHWAY US 101...WHEN WALKING, I TRY TO AVOID BEING IN THE "INSIDE" OF A CURVE - SUCH AS ON THE LEFT OF PIC. THERE IS VERY LITTLE BERM BUILT INTO HIGHWAYS ON THE INSIDE OF CURVES...AND THE LONG TRUCKS USE EVERY INCH OF IT...REMEMBER, THE REAR WHEELS ARE SOME 60 FEET BEHIND THE FRONT WHEELS...IN A TURN THE "TRACK" OF THE REAR WHEELS CAN BE MANY INCHES "INSIDE" THE TRACK OF THE FRONT WHEELS.
OFTEN CROSS THE HIGHWAY TO STAY ON THE "UP SIDE" WHERE THERE IS MORE BERM.
PACIFIC OCEAN AT THE OLYMPIC NATIONAL PARK CAMPGROUND...THIS IS THE VIEW FROM SPIA. STAYED OVERNIGHT. IN THE MORNING, WALKED "BACK" TOWARDS FORKS FOR ABOUT 12 MILES AND RETURN. LOTS OF "DOUBLE" WALKING THESE DAYS SOUTH OF FORKS...NOT MUCH TRAFFIC (EXCEPT LOG TRUCKS), AND DRIVERS ARE RELUCTANT TO PICK UP WALKERS OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.


PACIFIC OCEAN - VIEW DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF SPIA, PARKED AT THE OLYMPIC NATIONAL FOREST CAMPGROUND...A SPOTLESS PLACE...WOULD BE GREAT IN THE WARMER MONTHS TO COME HERE FOR A WEEK OR SO.

Wrote a few words in "Word", so here it comes:
DAY 12 – HOH RAIN FOREST

Walked continuous today from 7:30am until 3:30 pm, with 20 minutes time out to move SPIA.

There is very little traffic South of Forks, Washington on Highway 101. Try as I might, NO ONE stopped to give me a ride…so, today was ALL Double Walking

Drove out of Forks to the Upper HOH Road and parked SPIA.

Dressed for rain. Began walking back North to the BOGOCHIEL RIVER BRIDGE, some 8 miles up and down some serious hills. AND, received my first injury.

There is no berm on many places along Hwy 101. Returning from the Bogochiel, a logging truck ad trailer – empty – came upon me quickly in a curve. His rear trailer wheels came onto the berm…I stepped back and DOWN…there was no guard rail and NO roadway. I tumbled backward halfway down a 10 foot steep bank covered in clumpy grass.

I did NOT actually fall, but trying to keep my feet under me, I twisted my right foot and twisted my left knee. Did not seem to be serious. I climbed back onto the roadway and continued walking back to SPIA…Trailer missed me by a couple inches…

All this time, was a torrential downpour of rain…a veritable river running down the highway.

By the way, I wear BROOKS “EXTREME WALKERS”, purchased next door to Harley Davidson in Bellingham, Washington. I have three (3) pair…all 1.5 sizes too large for my foot – giving me a oversized toe-box so my toes never reach the front of the shoe…very important going down long steep hills. I alternate shoe pairs every three days or so (wish I had a shoe tree to help them keep their shape while not worn).

I used these same 3 pairs walking last Summer to Oklahoma City. I am confident they will see me all the way to Key West this time ‘round.

I prepared my Brooks with MINK OIL (4 – 5 applications), waterproofing on top of that, and ample shoe polish. So far, the INSIDE of my Brooks are dry…even walking in seemingly rivers of rainfall.

I also wear motorcycle rain pants which reach to the bottom sole of my Brooks, so rain does not get in from above.

Back to SPIA…was not hungry…I take 2 SNICKERS Candy Bars and two Bagels, which I munch while walking – along with 2 bottles of POWER-enhanced water …mixture 2 water to 1 power liquid)..so, I kept walking South on Hwy 101 for another 5 miles and RETURN – AGAIN NO RIDE – again down and back up a VERY steep hill.

My foot and knee seem to be not seriously injured…

Arriving back at SPIA, drove out the 5 miles just walked. parked and walked forward another 3 miles and back to SPIA.

By now, my foot and knee were beginning to hurt. So, I decided to quit for the day.
Drove SPIA South on Hwy 101 to the OLYMPIC NATIONAL CAMP GROUND sitting on a 50 foot bluff directly over the crashing waves of the Pacific Ocean at the small village of KALALACH, WASHINGTON. This a very well constructed and maintained Camp Ground…with 3 or 4 heated restrooms and fresh water…no showers !

Made up my Bratwurst and Sauerkraut. Ate half and put the second half in the fridge.

Still have ½ the Pizza in the fridge from yesterday.

One problem: Wet clothes are NOT drying fast enough. I do NOT heat SPIA for fear of running out of Propane, so it remains a bit cold and damp…too damp to properly dry clothes. Am trying something new today: have 4 warm duvets’ on my bed…so, am layering the partially dry shirts (thermal shirts), between the blankets to see if they wil wick out the remaining dampness enough for me to wear them.

We shall see.

Not too much to see out here on the Rain Forest bordering the Pacific Ocean…except mossy things and rain rain rain…

Have been warned of Bears about, but nothing so far…I mind my business and expect them to do the same. ! ! !

REPORT UPDATE: Walked 32 miles today…Count 16 miles

SEE YOUR IMPACT: Credit 16 miles @ $0.02 - $0.32 for the Day

Gonna take a while to reach Key West ..if I must walk double too often.

No comments: