Translate

Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 8, 2010

BOISE CITY, OKLAHOMA

MONTI PLAYING WITH HIS TOY BACKHOE, BOISE CITY, oKLAHOMA


FIRST OKLAHOMA SUNRISE


FIRST OKLAHOMA SUNRISE



FIRST OKLAHOMA SUNRISE




RIFT RISING FROM COLORADO GREAT PLAINS AT BORDER WITH OKLAHOMA





SANTA FE TRAIL, NEAR BOISE CITY, OKLAHOMA






SOCIABLE OKLAHOMA COWS (Windmill in background pumps water out of the ground into the Lake)







TROOPER BROWN's OKLAHOMA STATE POLICE CRUISER








ROAD GRADER - NEW CONSTRUCTION NEAR BOISE CITY, OK.









SANTA FE TRAIL HISTORICAL MARKER
Wednesday, Oct 06, 2010: Posting delayed as mimi HP was LOADED with virus..all cleaned up now. Must run protection programs more often.

You wanna know my immediate discovery about Oklahoma? No…well, I’ll share it with everyone else. COWS. I find Oklahoma Cows to be more sociable than those in previous States. Til now, when walking by a herd of bovine, they ALL stare, turn and run from me.

Not in Oklahoma. Using One Day and 8 – 10 herds as a measure (small sample so far), Oklahoma Cows turn towards me, stare, and either stand stock still or actually walk towards me…for a closer look ?…or maybe because I MOOooo back at them.

Seriously, most social Cows yet are Oklahoma Cows. Do they taste different…too early to tell.

We parked in a roadside Rest Stop for the night about 10 miles South of the Colorado border. Trains blasted 100 feet by the Camper on one side, while 18-Wheelers rumbled 30 feet away on the other side. Trains were louder, but trucks rocked the Camper as they pounded past.

Before daylight, Jodi drove us back to the Colorado-Oklahoma border.

Since walking last Friday from the Lakes, I have been walking UPHILL. Seems the Great Plains – for the Southern 100 miles or so in Colorado – rise up 500 feet or so to an East-West Rift of ravines, hills & even some small canyons upon reaching the Colorado - Oklahoma Border. The uplifted rift continues 10 miles wide or so. It suddenly falls away to the South for a couple miles where it levels out onto a very FLAT Oklahoma.

Looking from above, one might imagine an impact basin on the Colorado side.

As I walked my last portion of US 287 (it soon heads South into Texas – I was greeted by Ole’ SOL rising in the East over the hilly Rift. Jodi drove back to our overnight parking spot, which I reached at 9:30 am (10 miles or so). Interesting “Historical Read-a-Boards” about the Santa-Fe Trail which ran through the spot we parked on. Seems we had been following the Santa-Fe Trail since leaving Lamar, Colorado, where it turned Westerly, ending in what is now Las Vegas. The 800 mile long Trail was the main East-West overland route to California from 1822 until the 1880s, when the Santa Fe Railroad replaced it. (Much earlier than the Oregon Trail)

After filling my two 12 ounce water/electrolyte drinking bottles, I walked South the 10 miles to BOISE CITY, Oklahoma – still on US 287, which was under construction the final 5 miles. A By-pass is nearly complete, which will most probably render Boise City into a “Whistle Stop” town.

Was stopped by a State Trooper…think he was just curious about me walking into his turf. Trooper Tracy Brown & I exchanged pleasantries about the new US 287 Construction & I offered a SAM & ME card. Three minutes later, I watched as he pulled over an 18-Wheeler. As I walked past, he said…Sure, go ahead & take a Pic of my Cruiser. I did.

Stopped & chatted with some of the Construction Workers. Monti let me video tape him playing in the dirt with his mini-Backhoe.

Meanwhile, Jodi had driven to Boise City, where she and SPIA were resting in a shady City Park, Jodi immersed in her new KINDLE. As I walked up, she gave me her folding chair…PLOP I went into it…the temperature had climbed to near 90 F. & my legs were a bit wobbly..thanks, Jodi.

A half hour & I was off again. This time, I made a LEFT turn on the very last section of US 287 still un-paved Construction skirting around Boise City. It met with East-West US 412 which headed East to Oklahoma City. About 7 miles from Boise, City, Jodi pulled alongside (was a pre-arranged time). We drove back to the DQ, where we “Camped Out” in their parking lot.

All in all, a fair day. Jodi and I, both being a bit strong willed, are finding our “middle ground”. SPIA continues in the tradition of SAM.

Mon –O-man…when the Sun goes down in these flat lands, it gets immediately TOTALLY Dark. Reminds me of my many trips across the Oceans of the World - ( 2 times ATLANTIC, 3 times PACIFIC, 1 time SOUTH PACIFIC & 1 time INDIAN OCEAN, where Ole’ SOL disappears into the Western Abyss with a final GREEN wink – for those closely watching…stories for another day).

1 comment:

Barbee and Larry said...

Dearest Bruce--I am so sorry I missed your phone call. Larry said all is going well now. You are a very special person in our lives. Please take care of yourself. It is great that you have Jodi and the RV. Stay well.
Barbee