Translate

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 15, 2010

IN BELLINGHAM AGAIN

GLACIER NATIONAL PARK
GLACIER NATIONAL PARK

GLACIER NATIONAL PARK


GLACIER NATIONAL PARK...I Love This Picture...Use it for my Desk Top. You May Too.
Yes, I did take it...Later He walked right up to me & made me move off "his" trail.



Unexpectedly, my Company had good sales July. So, I needed to return to Bellingham to tie up loose ends administratively. Appears both clients and factories are cooperating fully and are pleased with my walking-service. One e-mail claimed quicker service than when I was sitting in my office...








A typical transaction:








CELL PHONE RINGS...I CANNOT HEAR IT BECAUSE OF PASSING VEHICLES; BUT IT VIBRATES AGAINST MY THIGH. I TAKE IT OUT OF MY POCKET, FLIP IT OPEN, PRESS "SEND" AND...








Hello, Bruce here








Hey, Bruce, this is Joe in charleston...where are you...never mind I know...just read last nights blog








I received a rush order a few minutes ago & I need your help








OK, have pad and pen...what can I do for you, Joe








I need 400 B166 clear and 600 B-MB 4 Gold








No problem...when do you want them in Charleston.








Well, today is Wednesday...can you get them here Friday








No problem...Second Day UPS ok?








You can do that?








Let's see...its 4 o'clock in Charleston...that makes it 1 o'clock in Bellingham...NO Problem.








OK, thanks, Bruce...stay safe..








Will do, Joe ... and thanks for the order.








I SNAP THE CELL CLOSED...OPEN IT AGAIN AND SPEED DIAL








Hello...this is Bruce from Spectrum...may I speak with Velda, please








Hi Velda...Bruce here...no, I'm on US 30 in Wyoming...have a small order for Joe in Charleston.








Yes, that one.








OK (I GIVE VELDA THE ORDER)








Joe needs it 2nd day...can you do that? You can? Great...OK Bye...Yes, I'll be careful.








THE ENTIRE TRANSACTION TAKES LESS THAN 10 MINUTES, DURING WHICH I HAVE WALKED ANOTHER 1/2 MILE OR SO. Thanks for the Digital World. Makes my walk possible.








Well, keeps me occupied with walking those long straight roads seemingly going off into nothingness.

Bus arrived in Bellingham at 2:00 am Yesterday (Saturday) morning. Taxi home cost $20.00 (wow !) - with tip, and I got 4 hours sleep before hitting driving to my office. All was in tip top shape, thanks to Raleigh and Dale, who pinch-hit during my absence. Took all day to get paperwork sorted out, but everything was there and in good order...thanks, guys.

Last evening, took in a Riblet Basket at Applebees...and another margarita (sp)? Picked up some Alaskan True Cod and 1/2 pound of cooked shrimp for Sunday. Corn on the cob and elbow pasta salad accompanied by a good Australian Wine and Ice Cream with Boxx Berry Farm Raspberry Syrup, filled out today's menu.

Soon, won't see that kind of menu for a while, crossing the Great Plains.

Completed all invoicing to clients. Tomorrow, start posting Accounts Payable and balancing the checkbook. Then Financial Statements for June and July to Bev, my CPA.
Have really enjoyed the 31 + years I have owned and managed Spectrum Ascona, Inc, my wholesale packaging company for confection. When I started back in 1980, folks took candy home in a white paper sack tied with a red string.

The designer bags, instant-bow ribbons, and ballotin boxes you see on todays shelves, all started when Christiane and I created our Company during a trip to Paris. Christiane is gone now, and everything I touch has her mark on it. Will be difficult to let go when the time finally comes.

In the meantime, I continue to prepare for resuming my walk to Key West next Friday in Denver. I have purchased a new pair of wicking walking combination pants (the legs zipper off), which dry in moments, a new wicking form-fitting pullover with 1/2 collar, and a new hat with a neck/face guard held closed by magnets (to keep biting flies at bay). Should make walks more comfortable crossing the Plains.

I miss the yacht. Most sailing buddies are out in the San Juan Islands, enjoying the 90 + degree weather that set in yesterday and will be with us until at least the end of the week. Les, my Captain buddy, has invited me to take a turn around Bellingham Bay in his new 27 foot Hunter Sailing Yacht. We used to race together. It will be fun to be with Les again out on the water.

I have put 10 pounds back on since a couple weeks ago (I had lost 40 since my walk began). Guess my returning to regular sit-down meals has done its job. And I feel much better...not fatigued as when I crossed the Rocky Mountains. Of course, being at Sea Level just might have something to do with that.

And I have not lost my touch at Wii. Golfed at 6 under Par (for 9 holes) first time out. Also trounced Wii's best at Tennis. My eyesight seems to be taking a turn, however. Cannot see so well in dim light. Might be because I have not been wearing sun glasses in the glaring Sun under 100 + temperatures the past month. Guess I better start using my clip-ons. Do not have time to get a new pair of prescription sun glasses before leaving Thursday for Denver. Then, too, my second eye might be developing a cataract problem. Had the right eye done a few years ago, and have been expecting the left eye to go through the same process. Oh, well...getting older has its necessaries.

Not used to sitting around with nothing to do. Les has invited me to lunch tomorrow. Kim has invited me to the Hospital (she is a nurse) Cafeteria for coffee, and Suzanne, the teacher for Bellingham Juvenile (problem kids) School, has also invited me to meet with her for a bite.

Have started a new book - I used to have 3 or 4 books going all the time -, Clive Cussler "Corsair", a contemporary Historic Novel about Libya & Terrorism...rather well written...certainly one of Clive's better efforts. Since beginning to Blog, have paid closer attention to writings of others.

One blogger I enjoy is Danielle Hebert (I have mentioned Danielle before), who has circumnavigated the USA from Vancouver, BC. Danielle reached her longtime goal of Sturgis, South Dakota two days ago, where thousands upon thousands of motorcycles have descended for a party of sorts. Danielle, a 30-something artist, musician, and motorcyclist, is a very charming young lady looking for a re-start of her life. Danielle and I met in the tiny burg of Hampton Station, Oregon (see blog) many weeks ago. Her blog is worth reading.

Think I will take advantage of my relaxing time and go slip into a nice warm tub of water, turn on the water jets, and give myself a whirlpool treat. Will take Clive along, too...and another glass of Aussie Wine...a "Yellow Tail" Chardonnay...yummm.

Now if I could just barter one of those cups of coffee for some company....

No comments: