Translate

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

BIG-TIME MANHUNT

SEIBERT, COLORADO MAIN STREET
CO-OP GRAIN ELEVATORS

RAILROAD CROSSING SIGNAL



CATTLE GREETING COMMITTEE



COLORADO'S FINEST




AW, SHUCKS...YOU'R NOT OUR MAN





TWO BLOCKING CRUISERS ALREADY PULLED OFF THE HIGHWAY...CHRISTMAS ON COLORADO HIGHWAY 59





before I begin today's exciting report, I wish to say a word to my Followers.

I am truly overwhelmed to have all of you following me along the back roads of America. Do not know what I expected, but knowing I am not alone out here keeps me snug at night and sometimes teary-eyed. I don't know HOW to communicate with you (HELP SOMEONE), but I would if I knew how.

Slept comfortably in the Van lastnight in the city park of COPE, Colorado. I was not supposed to be in Cope, but helpi ng Dustin & Roger with their broken pickup truck, took me to Cope, where I decided to stay the night and walk Colorado Highway 59 today to Seibert and then on to Kit Carson.

My day started out as Ole' SOL rose majestically over the Eastern Great Plains. Walked 10 miles South on the "59", turned back to Cope and all hell broke lose.

A big SUV heading towards me pulled within 5 feet of me and stopped. A big guy in uniform got out - then I noticed the RED / BLUE lights inside the Grillwork. He stepped clear of the door with PISTOL drawn...as a second Police Cruiser with top lights flashing pulled next to the SUV, stopping crosswise in the Highway; another uniformed guy got out, PISTOL drawn. Both approached me without a word. I FROZE.

Then a third cruiser with flashing lights pulled up behind # 2; a third officer got out with a shotgun held leveled at the ground as he too walked to me. All three came from different directions.

As, two more cruisers with flashing lights pulled up, fully blocking the entire Highway. They also came around the SUV with GUNS drawn.

In all, five Police now stood half surrounding me...I stood perfectly still, looking from one to the next. First Officer, a Sheriff, asked...

You see anyone else walking this morning...

NO

You saw no one?

NO

Well, you are not who we are looking for

ALL THE WEAPONS DISAPPEARED.

Who are you looking for?

An escaped Prisoner. Someone reported they saw you and you fit the description...sorry for the Guns and all. You are too tall and too old. What are you doing out here?

Walking to Key West

Where?

From Vancouver, Canada to Key West

And you are how old?

75

Geeeeze. Well, you are free to go.

I write a blog every day about my walk (handed him my card)...mind if I include you folks in today's Blog...and some pictures, if possible

TWO OFFICERS EXCUSED THEMSELVES...not allowed to have my photo taken... THE OTHER THREE SAID...

Sure, but gotta put my hat on first...never do to have my photos taken without my hat.

And so, I took the pics.

You want a ride back to Cope (it was only 2 miles), The State Patrol Officer asked me.

You would do that for me...Sure, I'll ride back with you...and I did. He dropped me off at the Van, followed closely by the second State Trooper.

We talked about the condition of the Colorado Secondary Highways...The worse I have seen since beginning my walk...your right, he replied...and I have to drive this cruiser over 120 miles per hour on these roads...its all a budget problem...I talked to a trucker a couple days ago, who said West of the I-25 Corridor, the roads are super...he's right...the mountain roads are in great shape, but ours out here are in terrible condition. (No names here !!)

The two Troopers left me in the Van in the Park. Not 10 minutes, three more Police - dressed in combat clothing, including bullet proof vests and assault weapons drawn, came at me from three directions across the Cope CityPark...walked up to the Van...looked me over saying...your the walker, right?

Yes

We got the call about you, but guess we are too late...heard all about you on the radio...

Your OK.

And so the 4 of us chatted a half hour or so before they get back into their Van and drove off.

For certain, all Colorado knows SAM & ME are in the neighborhood.

Have more to say, but is dark...I'm sitting on a park bench getting eaten by mosquitos in the dark.

Will try to load some pics...

later,,,fun day... more to come














Next Morning...I have written much more, but Verizon AGAIN chose to DELETE it ALL.














Here are some pics.

1 comment:

Ron said...

Sounds like a pretty exciting day for you. Glad to see you didn't get harrassed or a ticket for speeding.

Ron (from Brian's @ Harper OR)
rfulwyler@tetonmachine.com