Translate

Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 14, 2010

Walking Shoes

I have been asked a number of times about my walking shoes. Here is the skinny...

I purchased and walked in 8 - 10 different walking shoes before I found and settled on "Brooks Addiction Walker # 10030". Most importantly, I ended up with size 13 D (my normal size is 11-1/2 D).

This shoe has a built in arch support "linear platform" and a VERY wide toe box. The reason I went up in size is to give my toes plenty of room to avoid them hitting the front of the shoe when going DOWN hills. When going down, the foot wants to slide forward and in a few minutes, becomes very sore if allowed to reach the front of the toe box. This is a real problem when holding SAM back from running away down hill.

Also, I have learned to tie the lacings in a specific way which eliminates pressure on the top of the arch. This helps relieve stress on the tendons/muscles leading to the shin (i.e., shin splint), and at the same time holds the foot firmly centered in the shoe.

The TIE is: when reaching next to the top eyelet, do NOT cross to the other side. Instead, run the shoestring through the same-side top eyelet, leaving a loose loop. Do the same on both sides. Then take the left string and run it thru the right-side loop. Likewise, take the right string and run it thru the left-side loop. Now pull both strings FORWARD toward the toe until comfortably snug and tie off the bow.

With this shoe and tie method, I walk 8 - 10 hours nonstop on all terrain (up - down - sloping) at 4 to 4.5 mph while pushing SAM without any pain spots, blisters (foot is held firm), or muscle pulls. Fact is, I don't even think about my shoes anymore while walking.

I have three pair and change shoes every day or two. Cost of the Brooks is about $125.00 per pair. I normally wear orthotics (mine are custom-made all leather and are now over 35 years old and still like brand new...yes, I use them all the time, starting with running marathons back in 1975). But, with this Brooks Addiction Walker, I don't miss the orthotics.

Please accept that I am NOT an expert on shoes (or anything else for that matter). This is my experience and trust it will be accepted not as a recommendation, but rather, as an explanation of my personal experience.

No comments: